131119 Today's Goalについて
3) Class Observations –Good Chance to Learn Some Philosophies for Language Learning-
At Queen Elizabeth Secondary School and Princess Margaret Secondary School, we could observe many classes and learn about some ways of class management and some useful tips to do CL activities.
○ Students must be center of learning.
○ Instructions should be as concrete and clear as possible.
○ If you set some tasks, you should tell your students the time for the work is limited.
○ You should explain to them what they have to do before you break class into groups.
○ You should let your students learn some useful strategies to accomplish the task.
○ You should give your students the tasks they can finish only if they use certain kind of strategies or expressions.
○ Give your students pre-tasks to make the main tasks easier.
○ You should show your students goals and ways of assessment of today’s class.
○ The basic rules for Cooperative learning are ;
Students sit face to face. Every student
have his/her own job. Group members have to cooperate each other to finish the given tasks.
Only one person should not dominate the group too much.
○ 8 to 1 rule; You should give your students eight affirmative statements if you give them one negative statement. It is important to make good rapport with your students.
○ The jobs of teacher are; to show goal and
assessment of activities , to teach them some knowledge, to show them some
strategies, to let them display what they learned, to organize
activities, to facilitate them accomplish their tasks, to encourage them by giving them affirmative statements, to make them do something repeatedly, to evaluate them appropriately
○ The basic idea for “pair work” is “Think-Pair-Share”.
○ Reading and Writing help your students improve their speaking ability.
○ Encourage them to read as many books as possible that are written in easy English.
○ Use English comprehensible for your students in your class.